Article provided by: The Center for Cancer & Blood Disorders: Fort Worth
Cancer treatment should focus on every aspect of a person’s health, such as emotional well-being and coping with pain, and not just physical health. This is known as holistic cancer treatment. If you’re looking for holistic cancer treatment in Fort Worth, call us, at CenterTX, to find out more.
What does holistic cancer treatment really mean?
When you first hear the term holistic cancer treatment, you probably think that it has to do with alternative medicine to replace conventional cancer treatment. But, holistic cancer treatment refers to procedures that complement rather than replace conventional cancer treatments. There are also alternative medicines that some claim to work, but using these instead of classic approaches to cancer is at your own risk.
Holistic treatment aims to cover all aspects of cancer treatment, both the physical and mental aspects of it, as we know how difficult it is for patients. The complementary therapies used in holistic cancer treatment are to help patients deal with the mental and physical side effects of cancer treatment. Complementary therapies could include anything that helps patients maintain their emotional well-being throughout the treatment, such as yoga or meditation.
At our practice, we understand and accept that the cancer treatment process won’t be the same for everyone. At our clinic, we try to customize the treatment process using complementary therapy to suit the needs of each patient as much as possible. If you’re looking for holistic cancer treatment in Fort Worth, contact us to see what options are available.
What kind of complementary therapies are out there?
There is a wide array of complementary therapies that are out there to suit a variety of patient preferences. These include:
- Acupuncture- In a session, a professional would insert needles into the skin at specific points. For some people, this helps with nausea from chemotherapy and relieves pain for others. We don't recommend it for those with low blood counts or those using blood thinners.
- Hypnosis- Helps improve focus and reduce anxiety
- Music Therapy- For some, playing a musical instrument helps calm anxiety and improve focus.
- Meditation- Improves stress and anxiety
- Exercise- Improves overall fitness and quality of life, even helping some cancer patients live longer.
- Aromatherapy or massaging- Fragrant essential oils are massaged into the skin to provide a relaxing sensation, helping to alleviate stress from chemotherapy.
- Yoga and Tai Chi- Improves fitness, focus, and mood.
Holistic treatments and insurance coverage
Increasingly more insurance companies are starting to cover complementary therapies. Major ones like BlueCross and Medicare cover methods like acupuncture or chiropractic therapy.
You must get a referral from a doctor for your chosen method. Most insurance companies require proof these alternative procedures are both effective and necessary. They will not cover therapies that have no medical evidence of being useful for the symptom you’re trying to treat.
At CenterTX, we offer holistic cancer treatment in Fort Worth. We know the importance of individualizing treatment for someone undergoing something as strenuous as chemotherapy, for both their physical and mental health.